countin' the days

Monday, March 10, 2008

Bailando la Salsa

When Friday rolled around, it was time to party. Lauren & Ari came back to Quito, and after a full week of researching volunteer projects and trying to get things in my life together (both here and back in California), I was ready to let loose -- especially since everything had so nicely and conveniently come together on Friday afternoon. My Ecuadorian friends had good reason for celebration too, since it was Edison´s birthday. After a couple of warm-up beers at a restaurant, the choice was clear: off to Seseribó for some salsa dancing!

Seseribó is a salsateco right in the center of Quito. Unlike many other salsa venues in town, it is dedicated to ONLY playing salsa, and is frequented nightly by the best salsa dancers in Ecuador. I mean, these folks know how to do salsa right. I could easily spend a whole evening gazing only at their feet... This was my second, and hopefully not my last, visit to Seseribó. All night long until 3am, we were treated to salsa pura y salsa vieja: classic and pure salsa, straight from the Caribbean and mostly from the golden salsa decades of long ago. Super divertido.

No comments: