countin' the days

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Som Tam in Paradise

My first week back in the island paradise of Koh Phangan was spent at The Sanctuary, a little haven of peacefulness on an isolated stretch of east coast beach. I went a little over budget for a few days as I filled up my time with yoga classes and delicious vegetarian cuisine from their lovely but painfully overpriced restaurant. On the day of the full moon party, I attempted to leave the Sanctuary, to go to another beach and skip out on what I'd known to be the stupid debauchery of the full moon party. However, the boat to the next beach sped on by without picking me up, a clear sign that I was not going anywhere that day. Instead, I decided to go to the party with some of my new friends and ended up having one of the most fun nights of this entire trip. I boogied my behind off for about 10 hours, even staying to drink a final beer and dance to the Stones as the sun came up. Gotta love when fate works out like that...

Next stop was the insanely beautiful beach of Thong Nai Pan Yai. It's the kind of beach you dream about but think might not really exist. Most of the days were nice and leisurely, with hours on end spent lounging in the shady white sand or swinging in the pink tye dye hammock on my porch. Occasionally some Chang drinking occured, when it was just too hot and sunny NOT to have a cold beer, or when the tunes from the Funky Buddha Bar called us to come and dance. But far and away the highlight was wandering the little Thai village, and eating. A lot. We were spoilt for choice as far as delicious low-key Thai Mama cooking goes, but managed to find the gem among gems: Som's. Som cooked us unbelievable Thai meals 3 times a days, and I can now safely say hers is my favorite Thai restaurant in the whole world. Mmmmmmmmmm.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss thailand.. =( i need an offical large chang.. i'm sure u went back to the apple bar.. weather that be at koh phanan or Krabi... ;)