countin' the days

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Farm

I'm a working girl again. Well, sort of.

I'm hanging out a few hundred kilos north of Cape Town at The Farm backpackers (www.thefarm.org.za), where I exchange a few hours of my time every day for free accomodation and a small weekly stipend. It's a rustic little hostel nestled in between some citrus groves and towering mountains, with the kind of fresh air and starry skies that you write home about (or, at least write your blog about). Most days, my grueling routine consists of tidying up, cleaning the kitchen, doing some laundry, and helping with odd jobs around the place, such as planting flowers, "landscaping" (ie cutting back shrubs), and painting. Normally I put in anywhere from 2 to 6 leisurely hours a day, with plenty of afternoon time left to laze about in the sun, read books, make jewelry, go for a jog, what have you. I've also been racking up about 1 or 2 days off a week, although at last count today was my third day off this week...

Life continues to be sweet. After 4 months of solid traveling, it's a lovely feeling to settle in a bit to a place, and even more so, to keep some money in my pocket...

No comments: